Friday, December 22, 2006

Runny Nose and the Incarnation

Today I'm working on my sermon for this Sunday. My words and sentences are so feeble in the face of the reality I'm trying to preach about. I'm preaching from Matthew 1, "And they shall call his name Immanuel (which means God with us)."

If this weren't already too much for my small mind, I have a cold. And then the thought hits me, "Jesus had colds." Wow. God became man. He dealt with all our weaknesses, all the inconveniences of a body. He had a runny, sore nose from time to time. And he did this without Kleenex and without sin, which is pretty incredible, if you think about it.

I hope your soul is reveling in the glorious, mind-boggling truth of the incarnation. This quote from Charles Spurgeon can help increase your Christmas exultation:
Infinite, and an infant. Eternal, and yet born of a woman. Almighty, and yet hanging on a woman's breast. Supporting a universe, and yet needing to be carried in a mother's arms. King of angels, and yet the reputed son of Joseph. Heir of all things, and yet the carpenter's despised son.
Amen! Hallelujah! Jesus is our Immanuel!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?