Saturday, February 25, 2006

Spurgeon on the Lost

A pastor named Jim Donohue at Covenant Fellowship, our sister church in Philadelphia, recently shared the following quote by Charles Spurgeon at a conference on evangelism hosted by the Pastors College. It provoked me and I hope it does the same for you.
"The Holy Spirit will move them by first moving you. If you can rest
without their being saved, they will rest too. But if you are filled with an agony for them, if you cannot bear that they should be lost, you will soon find that they are uneasy too. I hope you will get into such a state that you will dream about your child or your hearer perishing for lack of Christ, and start up at once and begin to cry, 'God, give me converts or I die.' Then you will have converts."—Charles Spurgeon, The Sermons of Charles Haddon Spurgeon Volume 22, London:Passmore & Alabaster, 1876, 143-144.

Preaching through Luke has made me more aware of our Savior's heart for lost people. He actively seeks lost people. I want to be like Him. I want my prayers to reflect that burden. Spurgeon's words challenge me. I want to be a person who does not rest, a person who cannot bear to see lost men and women in our world perish without Christ

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?