Monday, February 02, 2004

The Opening Post About My New Book

I'm writing a book that will challenge my generation to make the local church a priority. It will be a small book that will share why God wants us to be passionate and committed to His church. This weblog is a way to record the process and communicate with friends who visit my website and give their suggestions and feedback.

On Friday and Saturday I did a retreat with my editor David Kopp. I know that one of his goals was to grab me, shake the complacency out of me and get me into a "deadline mindset" with this project.

Well, he was successful. The reality of writing a new book by the end of March has landed on me. Smashed me, really. I can't believe I'm here again. I'm thrilled and I'm terrified.

Shannon is so awesome. So encouraging. "You can write this book," she said. "This is an important book. It's going to be the most important one you've written. It will be easy for you." God, I love this woman! She believes in me when I don't.

This morning I woke up at 3 a.m. to comfort Joshua Quinn who was crying. I ended up staying up and working on chapter one. I know I'm in book-mode when I wake up in the middle of the night and all I can think about is the book.

I'm a little scared by this topic. Not only is it weighty but I'm afraid no one will want to read it. This book is different than my first three. They tapped into this amazing "felt-need" in people. People want to figure out relationships. They want to read about dating. They know they need help with lust. But the church? Who wants to read a book about the church? Could anyone imagine something more boring.

I guess that's exactly the mindset that I want to change.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?